The Fukuoka Experience
This section features hands-on activities unique to Fukuoka, Ranging from traditional handicrafts like Hakata doll painting To culinary ones like making your own Mentaiko, a spicy cod Fish roe that Fukuoka is known for.
Japanese Culinary Experience
Try Japanese cooking, such as sushi, tempura, yakitori skewers, and bentō boxes, using Fukuoka-sourced ingredients.
Here are some facilities and restaurants where you can experience cooking dishes Fukuoka is famous for, such as sushi and charcoal grilled yakitori skewers. You can join a variety of fun and tasty experiences while professional chefs teach you how to prepare and taste the food. English translation support is available, so please feel free to join.
- Aoyaso 1F, 1-13-12 Sakurazaka, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka City 810-0024
- (Experience) 11:00-16:00 (normal business) 12:00-14:00 (* reservation required) 17:00-20:30 (Last Order )
Kurofune Fukuoka Tenjin
- SG Building 3F, 2-1-5 Daimyo, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka City 810-0041
- Experience is from 3:00p.m.-5:00p.m.（Store business hours are from 5:00p.m. -12:00a.m.）
Factory and production visits that are fun for all ages, check out our ateliers, studios, and manufacturing sites.
Here are some facilities where you can see the behind-the-scenes of production processes for beer, mentaiko (spicy cod roe), and Hakata-ori textiles. Normally these are processes that are not open to the public making it a highly worthwhile experience if you would like to learn more about Japanese culture. Some facilities have direct-sales shops and restaurants, so you can enjoy eating while shopping too!
Activities and cruises that will help you to feel the take in the nature and atmosphere of Fukuoka.
Why not immerse yourself in Fukuoka while enjoying the scenery? Fukuoka has a river cruise course where you can enjoy the cityscape from the water, and many outdoor facilities near the ocean, mountains, and other natural settings. There are also indoor facilities where you can enjoy some activities so you can enjoy without worrying about the weather.
- 810-0002 6-6 Nishinakasu, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka City
Uminonakamichi Seaside Park
- 811-0321 18-25 Saitozaki, Higashi-ku, Fukuoka City
- 9:30-17:30 * Until 17:00 from November to February
BOAT HOUSE Ohori Park
- 810-0051 1-3 Ohori Park, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka City
- (April-August) Weekdays 11:00-18:00 / Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays 10:00-18:00 (Reception is 17:30) (September-March) Weekdays 11:00- / Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays 10:00 ～ (Reception is about 1 hour before sunset.) * Depending on the time of year, the closing time may be advanced due to the sunset. * Business hours may change suddenly due to the effects of weather such as rain and wind.
Traditional Craft-making Experience (painting etc.)
Experience long-established traditional Fukuoka crafts, such as Hakata-ori textiles weaving and Hakata doll making.
Hakata dolls boast a 400-year history, and Hakata-ori textiles trace their origins back to the Kamakura period in the 12th-14th centuries. You can learn about the rich history of the Hakata area and see, try, and buy the works of master artisans. Your own original works completed during the hands-on experiences will delight you as souvenirs.
- 812-0026 Hakata-ku, Fukuoka City 11-8 Kamikawabata-cho,
- 812-0039 Hakata-ku, Fukuoka City 6-10 Reisenmachi,
- 10:00-18:00 (Admission to the exhibition building is until 17:30)
English and Multilingual Guided Tours (city walks)
Discover the attractions of Fukuoka: a tourist-friendly city with beautiful nature and traditional culture
You can visit Fukuoka's major sightseeing spots on guided-walking tours, including historical sites and important cultural properties, focusing on tradition and culture. English and other language-speaking guides are available, too. The tours full of the spirit of hospitality will show you the charms and uniqueness of Fukuoka that you won't find in a guidebook.